To us, business is more than just making money. It’s about people, purpose, planet, and having the right people on our team that share our core values. Of those core values, we place an emphasis on starring in our roles. We know that NOOMA wasn’t necessarily founded to be a tool for social justice, but we've come to realize that what we do and say can make an impact. For us to truly star in our role, we feel we need to embrace the opportunity to stand in solidarity with women. We’re committed to being a proactive voice of inclusivity and equality, especially in the health and wellness space that is severely underrepresented on so many fronts.
We are honored to celebrate International Women's Day today, where we can salute women's achievements, raise awareness against bias, and take action for equality. We believe that collectively, we can #BreaktheBias.
Below you will see shoutouts to books, causes, and women that are making waves and herstory (😉) in the health and fitness spaces. When we elevate, we win.
Taylan Erwin, Meraki Slack
1. SWSQ member Taylan Erwin
- Taylan's making slack-lining (a predominantly male dominated sport) more inclusive for all with Meraki Slack
- Lucie started CrossFit at age 52. Now in her 60s, she's in the best shape of her life
- Emily's the first woman to free-climb El Capitan in a day
- Tally takes a holistic approach to fitness; she ditches diet culture and instead explores intuitive movement and non-aesthetic benefits of exercise
1. Let's Get Physical: How Women Discovered Exercise and Reshaped the World by Danielle Friedman
2. A Life Without Limits: A World Champion's Journey by Chrissie Wellington
3. Forward: A Memoir by Abby Wambach
- CrossFit's an incredibly inclusive place for women. The International Women's Day Organization highlights why more and more women are choosing CrossFit in their article here
- Dr. Lindsay Kite and Dr. Lexie Kite are identical twins who promote body image resilience and how your body is an instrument, not an ornament. They provide online courses and plenty of helpful tidbits on their Instagram page